Hinweis

Nach Klick auf "OK" wird eine Verbindung zu Facebook oder twitter hergestellt. Dadurch werden ggfs. Daten an diese Plattformen übermittelt.

Playing Settlers 3 in Windowed Mode

Träger

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

Playing Settlers 3 in Windowed Mode

· 
Gepostet: 15.06.2017 - 02:39 Uhr  ·  #1
Hello,

I'm new to alobby and I used to play Settlers 3 on my old Windows 98 when I was a kid.
Back then I didn't have any chats like Steam and Discord going on, so I had no need to alt tab out of the game whatsoever. But times have changed. I can't play games without alt tabbing out anymore.

For this reason I need to find a way to play Settlers 3 in Windowed Mode. I found a way to do it for Singleplayer, but when I try to use it with aLobby I get a DPI error. Asking me if I have it set to 100% DPI. So it probably can't find the Multiplayer LAN button using the auto-navigation of the autonavigation of the mouse.

Does anyone know if this is possible without using VM software? I tried to use a VM Windows 7 but it kept giving me Memory Allocation Errors. And Windows 10 VM basically broke right after installation because Windows 10 is hell to work with.

If anyone could help me, that would be greatly appreciated.

Yours,

Sjana
Fischer

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

Re: Playing Settlers 3 in Windowed Mode

· 
Gepostet: 15.06.2017 - 11:32 Uhr  ·  #2
Zitat

I found a way to do it for Singleplayer, but when I try to use it with aLobby I get a DPI error.

some details plz!

Also tried a lot of variants, vmware player/workstation works best in my opinion;
Use W7 in the vm guest ! Host I use W10; No problems when switching from window to fullscreen and vice versa.
Träger

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 15.06.2017 - 14:32 Uhr  ·  #3
I tried using VMBox which keeps giving me memory errors during installation. I'll try another VM software and see if that works. Could you tell me how much memory you give your guest OS?
Bastler ohne Hand
Homepage: adrianer.org

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 16.06.2017 - 16:10 Uhr  ·  #4
Zitat geschrieben von NoMercy_vpn

Zitat

I found a way to do it for Singleplayer, but when I try to use it with aLobby I get a DPI error.

some details plz!

On Windows:

Attention: Neither DxWnd nor with DXGL work for playing with the aLobby (you get the error mentioned above) - and they won't do that in the foreseeable future - so you'll always need to disable them before playing online!

On Linux/macOS:
use the windowed-mode of Wine. It even works with the aLobby, though you cannot Alt-Tab to the lobby from the game...

Zitat geschrieben von NoMercy_vpn

Also tried a lot of variants, vmware player/workstation works best in my opinion;
Use W7 in the vm guest ! Host I use W10; No problems when switching from window to fullscreen and vice versa.

VmWare Player/Fusion/Workstation are the only stable ones. VirtualBox tends to crash often when playing S3.
Träger

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 18.06.2017 - 16:42 Uhr  ·  #5
I installed aLobby and Settlers 3 on VMWare Player, but when I try to play online it doesn't show the game after the loading screen. I hear the sounds and my mouse changes when I right click to scroll, but I can't see the game, only the very center part which is frozen. The rest is loading screen. Does this have to do with VMWare's Display Driver? I updated it to even be able to run Settlers 3 but it seems it doesn't work properly.
Bastler ohne Hand

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 18.06.2017 - 17:34 Uhr  ·  #6
@SjanaWilgani: NotEnoughInformation. Which Windows?
Träger

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 18.06.2017 - 17:37 Uhr  ·  #7
Both host and guest machines are Windows 7 Service Pack 1.
Bastler ohne Hand

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 18.06.2017 - 17:42 Uhr  ·  #8
It really looks like a VMware driver bug. Do you have the latest version of the VMware Player installed? If yes then you still could try to play with the quality and resolution settings of S3 - maybe some combination will work...
Träger

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 18.06.2017 - 17:47 Uhr  ·  #9
I installed the latest VMWare Player 12. I tried several settings in S3 Settings such a different resolutions, but somehow the settings don't apply. The window is always really small, like 1/8th of my screen.
Bastler ohne Hand

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 18.06.2017 - 17:49 Uhr  ·  #10
You need to change the S3 settings as admin.
Träger

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 18.06.2017 - 17:53 Uhr  ·  #11
Ah ok, I'll try that later today. Going to the store to buy a present for my dad for father's day. :p
Träger

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 23.06.2017 - 12:26 Uhr  ·  #12
Ok so changing the settings had no effect. When I go into any game, singleplayer or multiplayer, the loading screen stays and I can't see the game.
Träger

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 23.06.2017 - 23:10 Uhr  ·  #13
Ok I found a setting that works but now I have another problem. The screen window is very small in my VMWare, instead of scaling to my Monitor size. How do I enable GPU Scaling?
Bastler ohne Hand

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 24.06.2017 - 07:37 Uhr  ·  #14
Zitat geschrieben von SjanaWilgani

Ok I found a setting that works but now I have another problem.

What setting was it? Please write it here so anyone else who encounters the same problem can find the solution 8-)

Zitat geschrieben von SjanaWilgani

Ok I found a setting that works but now I have another problem. The screen window is very small in my VMWare, instead of scaling to my Monitor size. How do I enable GPU Scaling?

I guess that you would need to run the virtual machine in full screen mode - then it could work, but no guarantees, as I didn't test it.
Träger

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 24.06.2017 - 16:52 Uhr  ·  #15
What worked was setting shadows to Dithered.
As for the Fullscreen mode, I already run my VM in Fullscreen, but when I launch a fullscreen game it coveres only a tiny part of the screen and has big black borders. As a result camera movement with right mouse button is uncontrollably fast, and I can't see the game too well.
If you know a way to upscale, or know anyone who knows how to upscale in VMWare Workstation Player 12, please let me know.
Thanks a lot for the help so far!
Träger

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 24.06.2017 - 17:56 Uhr  ·  #16
Ok so apparently I was using the unlicensed version of VMWare Workstation, so I activated Workstation Pro and now I was able to use Fit Guest to Host. Now the screen game scales up to the screen size, but the camera movement with right mouse button is still way too fast.
Fischer

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 02.11.2017 - 21:13 Uhr  ·  #17
alt+tab solution for W10

finally found the ultimate solution to come to the desktop while playing settlers3 without vm :happy: :

"Winaero Tweaker" tool
go to Appearance/alt+tab appearance and there you can check "enable classic alt+tab dialog"
now alt+tab without any ddraw error or graphics problems:-)
Müller

VPN-Key:
Stream:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 03.11.2017 - 16:36 Uhr  ·  #18
I just tested it, but it does not work. It is like it used to be: roulette!
Fischer

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 04.11.2017 - 13:15 Uhr  ·  #19
uhm... after several tries,yes you are right:-(
did you try to change the resolution ingame (F1,F2,F3) before Alt+tab? no problems after dozens of alt+tab and back with several savegames.
Fischer

VPN-Key:
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 17.11.2017 - 17:20 Uhr  ·  #20
update:
the previous "solution" just worked temporary..
now i set "reduced colurs" 16bit in compatibility mode (rightclick s3_alobby.exe) dozens of tries with alt+tab worked.
Gewählte Zitate für Mehrfachzitierung:   0

Registrierte in diesem Topic

Aktuell kein registrierter in diesem Bereich

Die Statistik zeigt, wer in den letzten 5 Minuten online war. Erneuerung alle 90 Sekunden.

Cookie-Einwilligung

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies sowie Tracking-Technologien, um Dir die bestmögliche Funktionalität bieten zu können und um unsere Website stets zu verbessern.

Mit der Auswahl "Zustimmen" erlaubst Du dieser Webseite die Verwendung dieser Cookies und Technologien. Diese Webseite kann diese Daten an Dritte – etwa Social Media-Werbepartner wie Facebook und twitter – zu Marketingzwecken weitergeben. Weitere Informationen findest Du in der Datenschutzerklärung.

Cookie-Einstellungen verwalten

Bitte wähle und akzeptiere Deine Cookie-Einstellungen:

Weitere Informationen zu den verwendeten Daten kannst Du der Datenschutzerklärung entnehmen.